I am not the only athlete in my little family… My boyfriend, whom I affectionately refer to as ‘My Champ’ is an elite Muay Thai fighter, one of the best in the country for his weight class. His training is intense, his sport is brutal, and if there’s anyone that ‘gets it’ and the process- it’s me.
Since I am sponsored by the terrific Canadian supplement company Magnum Nutraceuticals, I am fortunate to have access to some of the very best products and protein. I am constantly looking for new, tasty ways to use their protein (known as ‘Quattro’- since it has a 4-tiered timed stage-release composed of 4 types of isolate) into regular foods and recipes. I have accumulated over a dozen protein pancake recipes, but creating snacks that are easy to grab-and-go have been a recent conquest of mine.
In the spring of last year I accompanied My Champ and his training partner to Calgary as they were both fighting on the same card. With the road trip ahead and knowing we would be holed up in the hotel for the majority leading up to the fight, I thought to make snacks!! I know how much bodybuilders eat, but they have NOTHING on what fighters can eat!! Small background: fighters do whatever it takes to make weight the day before they fight. They will fast, dehydrate, do sauna/hot baths, sleep in plastic suits/garbage bags- anything to ensure they are on point for their weigh-in. Once they’ve officially weighed in, they go and eat A LOT!
I came up with these ‘Champ Bars’ after modifying much of the homemade protein bar recipes I saw online. I made some swaps and additions, and voila! I made two batches to bring down with me (full knowing how much these boys can put away) and they were a HUGE hit!! My Champ says they remind him of healthy ‘Eat More’ bars (thank you Hershey 😉 ); he and his training partner ask me to make these constantly to this day. I sometimes have to decline, depending on how stocked I am with Quattro. I have made these for product demos at supplement stores, given some to friends and family- and they are widely popular across the board! They are an arm workout in themselves to make, but they are worth it TRUST ME. Enjoy! 🙂
You will need:
4 scoops Magnum Nutraceuticals Quattro Protein in ‘Chocolate Love’
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup agave syrup (or honey, if preferred)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter (almond butter works too)
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews (or peanuts, pecans, walnuts)
4-5 tsp water, for consistency
- Set aside measured chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl with a sturdy spoon.
- Create a well and add agave syrup and peanut butter. Mix from the inside out, until mixture is blended and appears ‘fluffy’.
- Slowly add small amounts of water at a time. If you mix in too much too soon, mixture will be far too sticky. Go slow, until mixture binds together and appears formed.
- Add in chocolate chips and nuts. Put your back into it!! Blend well- as best you can 😉
- Place mixture on a lined cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put cling wrap on top of mixture; roll out flat with a rolling pin. Leaving cling wrap on, place sheet in the fridge to store overnight.
- Cut into 6-8 bars. Wrap individually, and store in a cool, dry place. I keep mine in the fridge; My Champ will store his in the freezer, then take them to work/training so then they are thawed but still have their shape and consistency.
These are calorie dense, sweet-tooth satisfying, gluten free (depending on type of chocolate chips you use)- and sure to provide you with the fuel you need for some intense training or a hectic day ahead! Enjoy 🙂
Macros (if cut into 6 portions): 349 calories; 12.5 g F; 36.8 g C; 25 g P; 4.1 g fibre