Half the reason I wanted to start up a blog site was to showcase my take on clean eating. I have put such emphasis over the years on making sure I’m loving the meals I’m eating: and loving what I see in the mirror even more. It really does pain me to hear people say “I would eat good like you, but I love food too much.” Ummm?!?? I ADORE food!! I’m all about ways to create better ways to eat more of what I already love.
My most favourite meal of the day is breakfast. It’s the one meal I never miss!! As a shift worker, I have to be up at 5 bells to make it in by 7 am report (maybe 6:58 on most days)- I am a slow-mover in the morning. To ensure I get a decent meal in before my shift starts, I have been making night-before recipes that are as easy as zap-and-go: zap, optional 😉
I bring you one of my favourite night-before recipes: Baked Banana Protein Oatmeal, by southerninlaw.com!! It is a super-simple, easy, clean, balanced recipe that is DELISH!! My Champ loves it too (he’s not a morning person neither). It has a rich, banana bread taste and texture, and really satisfies. I top mine with natural peanut butter, and even some fat-free whipped topping if it’s around! Banana-cake for breakfast, or as a snack! Give it a try 🙂
1 cup quick oats
2 scoops of Quattro Protein powder in Vanilla Ice Cream
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
Cinnamon, nutmeg to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease/line 9″ square pan and set aside.
- Mash your bananas first in a large mixing bowl; add in all other ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and bake for 35-45 mins: baking time will vary depending on your oven, and type of protein used. Test by pricking centre with either a knife or toothpick; top should be golden-brown.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving. Since I make mine the night before, I allow to cool before I store the slices in separate containers in the fridge. This way each portion is ready to go first thing!
- This can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge- but it won’t last that long 😉 As mentioned, I like to top mine with some natural pb and also a drizzle of sugar-free syrup! Sweet tooth 100% satisfied with 0% guilt.
Macros (if divided into 4 servings): 236 calories; 2.4 g F; 31 g C; 21.6 g P; 4.2 g fibre